Sunday, February 23, 2014

4 Ways to Get Back in the Habit of Exercising


I love running. I love most physical activities, but running is definitely my favorite. That being said, it is SO hard to get back into the habit of exercising after a break. (Or get started, period.). This is also the time of year when all those New Years Resolutions start sliding. You were doing so well working out then the cold weather put everything on hold. Now you're trying to get back into the habit.

After the half that killed my hip three weeks ago, I've run a grand total of three times. My hip is better. It didn't hurt on any of those three runs, but it does ache when I'm sitting still. It's especially rough on long car rides (which I've had several of lately) and right before I fall asleep at night.  With all that, I've gotten out of the habit of exercise.

With my next half being two months away, I've GOT to get back on the training plan. If it's this hard for ME, someone who generally loves exercise, to restart my running plan, I can only imagine how tough it is for those of you who don't enjoy sweating. So for all of us, here are my tips to start (or restart) an exercise habit.

1. Just go. Go in the morning. Go in the evening. Go on your lunch break. Just go. Don't talk to yourself about it. Don't let that time be optional. Look at your calendar, find a time that works for you, and go!

2. Find a partner. Or two. With the weather slowly getting nicer, I'm rounding up some friends to meet me for early morning runs. Having accountability is the number one way to ensure you won't skip a workout.


3. Have a motivational wall. Whether it's a physical wall or a Pinterest board, gather together some things that motivate you. It doesn't need to be all photos either. Seeing a super toned female in a bikini is not my motivation. Yes, I want to be super toned, and I'm proud of that girl for her achievement, but I don't want to motivate myself by the success of someone else. I prefer my motivation to come from quotes. You can find my motivational Pinterest board here.


4. Make it fun. Even though I love running, it can get boring if I do it every day. Find something you love, but still mix it up. Try new things. Do what you love a different way. I can run for fun, train for races, or work on speed. I also like to throw in yoga, spin, kickboxing....anything to change up my routine so boredom doesn't set in.

I'm trying my hardest to get back in the habit this week.

Do you have any tips to share with me?



No comments:

Post a Comment