Thursday, December 5, 2013

Kick Stress to the Curb


Even though I completely love the holidays (yes, I said it AGAIN!), they do tend to be a little overwhelming.  All the gift-buying and party-going and parade-watching can wear on a person's nerves.  So I thought I would share with you ways that I, personally, kick stress to the curb.
  • Go for a run.  Or a walk.  Just get outside, move, and clear your mind.
  • Pray.  When I am super stressed, prayer helps calm my nerves.
  • Make a list.  I am such a list-maker.  When I am overwhelmed, I make a list of all the things that I need to do.  Seeing everything written downs helps me feel more centered, and I feel very accomplished as I check things off my list.  (I am even guilty of writing down tasks after I do them, just to check them off!)
  • Barefoot Moscato and a hot bath.  If I have had a really bad day-- I mean a really, really bad day-- a glass of wine and a bubble bath can help me relax.
  • Purposefully refocus my brain.  Sometimes I get so caught up in things that I make myself feel MORE stressed.  Take a deep breath and remind yourself of all the things you have to be thankful for.  Be present, in that moment, and put aside all the future to-do's and plans.
  • Laugh.  Turn on the Big Bang Theory, call up your funniest friend, or Netflix "The Heat."  
  • Music.  Create a playlist of upbeat, encouraging tunes that can get you through tough times.  I am not really a fan of Christmas music, but I can blast Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus or Cruise by Florida Georgia Line for a quick fix.
  • Yoga.  I love Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown.  Something about the stretching (and the endorphins, I'm sure) always helps me relieve stress.
  • Find an animal friend to love on.  If you can take them for a walk outside, even better.  If I am feeling overwhelmed, a little snuggle time with Max can cheer me right up!
  • Go to sleep.  I know this is MUCH easier said than done, especially for moms of smaller children, but it is truly very important to get adequate sleep.
  • Get lost in a movie or tv drama.  Nashville, Scandal, Betrayal, Gossip Girl---I can get so wrapped up in any of these shows that I forget where I am.  My mind relaxes and my stress level goes down.
Whatever tactic you use, don't let stress take over.  Too much anxiety can make you physically ill, so do your best to get a handle on it before it gets out of hand.  Talk your doctor if you need too.  Call a friend.  Email me. :)

Do you get extra-overwhelmed during the holiday's?

What strategies do you use to beat stress?


No comments:

Post a Comment