Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ordinary Days

Today has been a perfectly ordinary day.  There was mostly good.  There was a little bad.  It’s not really worth retelling.  Our perfectly ordinary day has, in an odd way, made my heart heavy.  I’m so very thankful that my girls spent the day splashing and giggling at the pool.  I love that we spent time with friends and basked in the sunshine.  I am undeniably grateful that we have this special time together.

All this makes me think about those who hope for perfectly ordinary days.  In this world, there is hard stuff.  Really, tough stuff.  Friends are hurting.  A sweet local family has a 2 year old daughter battling leukemia.  I read her Facebook updates and I know she hopes, she prays, for a perfectly ordinary day.  Another friend delivered a sweet baby girl and was able to hold her for 2 hours before that little one left this earth to be with our Heavenly father.  A distant cousin is fighting for her life as a result of spinal meningitis.  A high school friend of mine was killed in a car accident a few nights ago.  The list goes on and on.

I don’t know why bad things happen.  I especially don’t know why bad things happen to good people.  My human self thinks that bad things, like cancer and death, should only happen to bad people—murderers and rapists.  But God sees things differently.  And I know that He is the one in charge, not me.   We may not know God’s reasons, but we can know HIM.  And we can put our trust in Him. 

And I can praise Him for perfectly ordinary days.

No comments:

Post a Comment